The Sydney Environment Institute is a national and world leader in multidisciplinary environmental research, known in particular for work in the environmental humanities and social sciences.
The key premise of the Institute is the need to engage with social, cultural, historical, political and economic processes and meanings as a necessary element of dealing effectively and justly with ongoing transformations of the planet. The Institute aims to harness the existing capacity of Sydney’s expansive range of environmental scholars in order to tackle entrenched problems, design and implement strategies for surviving our increasingly unsustainable world, and facilitate work toward genuine and sustainable social, cultural, and environmental transformation.
Our objectives are broad and ambitious, but clear and consistent. We:
- identify matters of critical environmental concern, and engage them – through creative, collaborative projects designed for real impact.
- cross disciplinary boundaries – to ask new questions, develop new methods, and generate new forms of knowledge and awareness among the arts, the humanities, and the natural, social, and technological sciences.
- build flourishing working communities – among academics, policymakers, cultural institutions, practicing artists, students, NGOs, and committed citizens.
- support and mentor – ambitious, imaginative, collaborative endeavours by students, scholars, and practitioners, within the university and beyond.
- communicate our work, and invite conversations – with the publics we serve in Sydney, across Australia, throughout the Indo-Pacific, and across the globe.
- impact and affect communities, culture, and policy – with our direct work with partners in community organisations, cultural institutions, and government.
Engage with us
Your donation can help us improve the way we see the world. We facilitate and curate the cross-fertilization of approaches, questions, methods and outputs on ore questions of human relationships with the environment. By donating to the Sydney Environment Institute, you are helping us invite conversations and facilitate dialogue between the academy, industry, and communities and contribute to new ways of thinking.
To learn more, contact our Philanthropic Manager, Peta Magee (firstname.lastname@example.org).