Published 02 November 2020
Applications are now closed.
The Sydney Environment Institute is pleased to announce the call for applications for our 2021 Honours Research Fellowship program.
Applications are invited from students in any discipline across the University of Sydney, and particularly encouraged from those in creative disciplines including Art History, Film and Media studies, Museum studies, and the School of Architecture, Design and Planning, conducting research in the areas of water, adaptation, resilience, justice, or the Pacific.
The aim of the SEI Honours Research Fellowship is to provide a supportive environment for young researchers while exposing candidates to multi-disciplinary approaches to addressing critical environmental issues. The Fellowship program gives candidates unique access to the SEI’s global network of leading environmental scholars, as well as:
- mentoring from a senior academic outside but complementary to the candidate’s discipline to promote multi-disciplinary thinking
- the opportunity to collaborate on multi-disciplinary projects with researchers across the University
- the opportunity to convene one student workshop, based on the candidate’s honours research
- the opportunity to contribute toward single-authored and multi-authored articles
- a desk in the SEI office in the Quadrangle (for the duration of the fellowship)
“The year I spent with the SEI interacting with leading thinkers on climate change challenged my views, expanded my knowledge and embedded in me the value of returning to the research for guidance and advice.”
— Elisabeth Wale, Policy Officer, Department of Social Services (2015 Honours Research Fellow, Department of Government and International Relations)
- Applicants must be intending to undertake environmental research that is in line with at least one of our core research areas: Adaptation; Transition; Food Systems; Sustainability; Justice and Environmental Humanities
- Have an overall mark of at least 70% across undergraduate units
- Enrolled at the University of Sydney and applied for/ been accepted into Honours for Semester 1, 2021.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please send an email to the SEI’s Deputy Director Michelle St Anne [email@example.com], with the subject heading ‘Application for 2021 Honours Research Fellowship’. Applications close February 19, 2021. Your email must include a completed copy of the 2021 Honours Fellowship Application Form.
The body of your email should consist of a brief personal introduction and with details on your current Degree and status, your major(s) and department or school, and your Honours Supervisor (if known). Please note that the Institute is not responsible for finding you a supervisor.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted once Honours positions have been awarded by University Faculties.
Along with your application form, please attach (in Word or PDF format):
- Proof that you have applied/ been accepted to undertake Honours in semester 1, 2020. This can include a copy of your acceptance letter, or evidence of your pending application.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript (it does not need to be a certified copy).
- Your CV with details on your academic/non-academic achievements.
- A writing sample of (no more than 500 words). This can include an extract from a past essay, and it does not need to be on an environmental topic, as it will be used to gauge writing.
Please note that this fellowship opportunity is only available to University of Sydney Students.